Success Health System LLC
Mental Health Doctor
4 Questions to Ask a Mental Health Doctor
4 Questions to Ask a Mental Health Doctor
At Success Health Systems, our board-certified psychiatrist can provide excellent mental health services and answer any questions you have about mental illness or treatment options. Call Us today for more information or simply schedule an appointment online! We have 3 convenient locations to serve you in West Plains MO, Columbia MO, and Olathe KS.
There can be a lot of uncertainty when a person is dealing with a mental illness, and it may feel that questions come in more abundance than answers. In such situations, mental health doctors and psychiatrists are here to answer your questions to the best of their abilities. If you have questions about mental illness, our psychiatrists and mental health professionals at Success Health System LLC would be happy to help you find clarity.
What type of mental health problem might I have?
It can sometimes be difficult to come to terms for individuals with the reality that they may have a mental illness, let alone figuring out the exact type of mental illness they have. With that being said, there is no shame in having a mental illness any more than there is in having an illness of the body, as a mental illness is no different from any other illness.
If you think you may have a mental illness but are unsure of what type of mental illness you are dealing with, our psychiatrists and mental health professionals at Success Health System LLC would happily see you to evaluate your symptoms and provide you with a diagnosis for the type of mental illness you have.
The different types of mental illnesses are as follows:
- Anxiety disorders, such as generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), panic disorder, and various phobias
- Neurodevelopmental disorders, including attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Eating disorders, including anorexia or bulimia
- Mood disorders, such as major depressive disorder, postpartum depression (PPD), seasonal affective disorder, or bipolar disorder
- Personality disorders, including borderline personality disorder (BPD), dependent personality disorder, or paranoid personality disorder
- Trauma-disorders, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Psychotic disorders, such as schizophrenia, postpartum psychosis, or schizoaffective disorder
- Substance abuse or addiction
In many cases, an individual can deal with more than one type of mental illness at one time.
Will counseling or psychotherapy help?
Counseling and psychotherapy are a highly effective complement to medication for treating mental illnesses. At Success Health System LLC, we have found that individuals dealing with mental illness respond best to treatment when given a safe space to talk freely about the challenges they face with their mental illness in a non-judgmental environment. In this way, while medication helps the neurotransmitters in your brain to function correctly, it is only a band-aid solution if it is not also coupled with counseling and psychotherapy. However, the reverse is also true, as the benefits of counseling or psychotherapy are significantly limited without the tangible help medication provides.
What should I do to help my mental health?
If you are concerned about your mental health, you should speak to your primary care doctor or get in touch with a psychiatrist who can evaluate your symptoms and help you find ways to improve your mental health.
What can I do to help my mental health?
In addition to speaking to a psychiatrist or getting a referral to a psychiatrist from your primary care doctor, there are many things you can do on your own to improve your mental health. While your doctor or psychiatrist can provide the most effective treatment, resources, and information on how to improve your mental health, some additional ways to improve your mental health include the following:
- Strong emotional support from friends and family
- Be honest about how you are feeling with yourself and those around you
- Eat a healthy diet
- Get plenty of sleep
- Exercise regularly and stay active
- Balance work with rest and taking breaks
- Ask for help when you need it
- Give yourself time to focus on hobbies and interests
- Accept yourself and care for those around you
If you have other questions to ask our mental health doctor at Success Health System LLC, we welcome you to call us or schedule an appointment through our website! We serve patients from Olathe KS, Columbia MO, West Plains MO, Harg MO, Prathers Ville MO, Midway MO, New Century KS, Olathe KS, Overland Park KS, Carson MO, Pomona MO, and Potters Ville MO.